WHAT IS ECOCART?
- The plastics are collected by local informal waste pickers and households who are paid by the weight of plastic collected. The rescued plastics are then taken to a co-processing facility in cement factories where they're used as an alternative energy source to coal. This reduces the carbon emissions created from cement production by up to 25% (as well as removing plastics from the environment!).
- TONTOTON work with local households and informal waste pickers in coastal communities in Vietnam and Cambodia. Vietnam is the 4th largest contributor to ocean plastic pollution globally, with an estimated 2,500 tonnes of plastic waste deposited into environment daily.
- The organisation also work with local NGO's to create educational campaigns which aim to encourage the local community to clean their environment and prevent ocean plastic.
- The name TONTOTON comes from converting a Ton of plastic litter into a Ton of neutralised plastic. TONTOTON say they are offering a Win Win Win solution - a win for the environment, the communities, and businesses wanting to offset their carbon footprint.
- TONTOTON is the first organisation to receive the Ocean Bound Plastic Certification - an independent standard of Zero Plastic Oceans.
How EcoCart works when you place an order
Every project that EcoCart fund is triple-verified, meaning:
- The projects financials, management team, project site and carbon reduction method are vetted
- One of the world's major carbon standards reviews the project
- Global Offset Research verifies the project against a second list of international standards
Please get in touch if you have any questions, or you'd like to find out more information.